Saturday, September 19, 2020

Hearing God. Part 1: Pump up the Volume.

My wife Nicole and I started a course a week ago called Hearing God and honestly it’s been mind blowing. 

Previous to this I had been reading a book called Crash The Chatterbox by Steven Furtick, also mind blowing, it’s all about hearing Gods voice above all other voices internal and external. 

I gotta say between the book and the course I’ve been pretty much consumed this week and have really not spent anytime working on what I planned as this weeks blog so what the heck I thought I’ll share some of what I’ve learned this week. 


Like many people, I’m sure, I haven’t a clue what I’m supposed to do with my life and feel often like crap because of it. If your in the same boat wave or something feels like I’m on my own out here. 


I was convinced that reading this book and taking this course would clarify some things. 


Well It is NOT what I heard when this week started. 

(furrows brow in frustration) 


I heard what I needed to know. 


I heard about how God sees me and how he loves who I am and how he wants to be my friend. 

I heard how I make him proud and we dug into some pretty old hurts and got into the thick of some long time lies I’ve been telling myself and living out of but didn’t know it. 


Here’s one that I have had to deal with this week. 

“Every one in my life eventually leaves because I’m not worth them sticking it out long term for.”



Umm what?  I believe that? That’s just not true. 


That lie originated when I was a kid when it felt true and guess what, it’s been in the back of my head it’s been sitting there poisoning new and potentially long term relationships because of something that happened almost 30 years ago.  


It’s funny not funny how things we thought were true at one point can become a belief that directs our lives. 


A funny story about how that happens. 


When I was a kid my family went on a trip and we stopped at this place and they had a couple of dogs who were, a bit unfriendly I think my older brother would say, not my feelings about them. 


I don’t know how it happened but I was out in the yard of this place and the two dogs came around the house at me and my brothers maybe I don't know who was there it was just me and the dogs in my memory. 


Well I took off like a scared rabbit away from them and the vehicle that would have probably provided sanctuary from the hell hounds as I remembered them to be. 


I sprinted toward a new construction site and along the way found a pit maybe 6 feet deep with some water in it and in my terror I jumped right in only to see the two dogs at the opening barking down at me. 


Here’s where it gets funny. 


The big dog of the two was a cocker spaniel. Yup the hell hound who ran me down was a relatively small dog. I only know what kind of dog it was because my older brother told me years later when he was making fun of me. But even as an adult being told this story I didn’t see a small dog to me it was the Hound of the Baskervilles, a hell hound, a demon dog, nope it was a cocker spaniel. 


All that to say if I’m gonna move on in life I have to confront the lies I tell myself and uncover them for what they are or I will always be the kid scared of some thing I may laugh at if it were to happen now. 


I’m doing just that by learning to hear Gods voice above all others especially my own because for a big part of my life I was a scared kid and that’s a terrible voice to listen to. 


So here the challenge:

If you know Jesus but don’t know his voice and want to 

Or 

You don’t know Jesus and want to hear his voice. 


Please reach out I’d love to share why I think his voice is real and worth listening to. 


As always,

I’m Jason and this is life as I see it. 

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment