Saturday, September 5, 2020

Not perfect just consistent.

 


While reading a book by Jim Stovall a month or so ago I read a game changing statement. 

“I don’t need it to be perfect I need it by Thursday.” 

This was in reference to Jim’s newpaper colum submission the editor was asking for consistency not perfection. 

Every week I don’t post I’m getting trapped in this idea that what I’m writing needs to be perfect before I hit “post” that is bullshit.

(I don’t like to commit swear words to paper because it’s immortal but that’s the highest deepest expression I can think of to describe the lie of perfection before action.) 

 

I don’t know about you but the idea that I can’t make a move till I’ve got it all set is as crazy as saying I can’t go to the store till all the lights are green.


No one operates like that in driving we just adjust as we go but when it comes to many parts of our lives we are scared that adversity is a sign to say we shouldn’t go ahead.


Well at least that’s true for me. 


Having a clear path isn’t the same as having a clear destination. 

I wish sometimes that it were but at the same time the adversity thus far has caused the development I’ve had. 

I heard that to build muscle you actually have to tear the existing muscle and the repair builds the muscle stronger well if that’s true then it makes sense why it’s so darn hard to get stronger in anything. 


I like the idea I heard about how Michelangelo created his masterpiece the David. The story goes that he said he was just releasing what was already in the stone all he did was chip away everything that wasn’t needed.

That’s me I’m this amazing creation, and so are you by the way, but Gods gotta chip or chisel away everything that is keeping that masterpiece from being fully revealed I think he uses life as his tools for perfecting. 


It’s also true that I have a David like body in there somewhere waiting for me to chip and chisel it out with some consistent activity, but I digress...


There is a Hebrew proverb recorded in the Bible that says “As iron sharpens iron, so people can improve each other.” 

This is the story of my life people are the reason I am who I am the people I hang with either push me to become better and become better themselves or we just forget the whole thing and keep six feet apart perhaps wear masks too for good measure. 


As I said about waiting for green lights or perfect paragraphs if I wait till every thing is perfect to start living my best life I we will be waiting forever because it’s in the mixing with others and with hardship that things chipped and rubbed and polished. 


If you are struggling with anything remember that the struggle means there is growth happening it’s not always going to be easy but it’s worth it just ask Michelangelo and he’ll tell you what chipping, chiseling and polishing did. When a master is at work you can trust that the process is necessary for the final outcome. 


Be a person who isn’t afraid to rub up against adversity and isn’t afraid to go into the uncertain places because I’ve been learning that it’s in the places that aren’t comfortable that the best stuff happens. 


Personally the road of adversity brought about a restoration to my family that no one but God dreamed of, but that’s another story for another time. 


Today get going even if the road ahead is filled with uncertainty because the ride is worth it. 


I’m Jason and this is life as I see it. 

See you in two weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment