Sunday, July 26, 2020

Stop filling your own tool box.


Have you ever tried to do some project only to realize that you didn’t have the right tool for the job? 

If you said no then move closer to me so I can come visit when I hit this snag, clearly we need to be better friends. 

This week I really struggled in some areas and felt like I didn’t have the right tool/skills for the job. I have people I can ask for help with things in life but I struggled with the belief that I didn’t know what I was doing and that scared me. 

For a long time I thought that the crappy parenting I received as a child resulted in the deficit I felt, but I now think that everyone no matter how good they were raised feels they are lacking something and don’t feel fully equipped. 

On Friday of this last week I was listening to a podcast and the guest speaker said most men struggle with feeling satisfied in life because they don’t really understand who they are. If you're a follower of Jesus that identity has already been given we just need to take it up all you and I feel we lack is already there because of Jesus. 

My mind was blown. 
As I write this I'm still unpacking the implications of what that all means. 

But this is it. This is the key to the problem I’ve been having to feel equipped to do life. 

Here I am trying for years to get equipped trying to fill a tool box with enough skills to feel equiped to do life when all this time I am fully equiped, fully able to do whatever I need to do. 

What a revelation!

But now that I know what the heck do I do?

First It’s time to stop walking around like a kid with toy tools. 
Second it’s time to stop going to my old tool box that’s filled with whatever I could get my hands on and realize that I while I’ve been scrounging for years there has been a whole room with the right tools waiting for me to open the doors and explore the vast possibilities of what God has for me. 

In early January I called 2020 the year of victory. 2020 has felt like the year of defeat as all the paths I thought were mine to take were simultaneously blocked. 
What I really needed was those ways to be shown as dead ends and thank God they were one more good thing a global lockdown brought. 

This is the year of victory but the victory came because I finally believed the truth about who I was made to be. 

I’m Jason and this is... life as I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment