Sunday, July 19, 2020

What I’m missing on the self improvement journey.

If you’ve seen anything in the last few years of mine on any social media platform or really talked to me I’ve been on a self improvement journey and it’s been wonderful I can’t thank the people who have been part of it enough.  

It started with 18 months of personal counseling and continued as I was introduced and brought earned a spot in a mentorship group with an emphasis of personal development. 
But really it started way before that for many many years I’ve sought to be a better version of me the best version even and I’ve grown so much I’ve moved way beyond the field I sprouted from I’m happy to announce I’m the best version of myself. Here’s the problem that’s not really what I’ve been going for. 
My personal faith demands I look beyond myself, look past the best version of myself at the best version of versions ever. I’m called to bear the image of Jesus. I know that sounds super religious and I don’t mean it to but for me if I keep trying to be a better me I’m focused inward and that’s not enough to really make a difference. 

Covid has taught me that most of us myself included are basically more interested in self preservation then global impact. 

Exhibit A: Toilet paper...  

Need I say more? 

This don’t touch lest someone infect you with the corona virus really goes against the very person Jesus was. He touched people with a massively contagious skin disease called leprosy and healed them but I’m afraid to shake your hand? 
I’m not getting political or going into a conspiracy theory I promise I’m just soul searching on my own motives with current events. 

I’ve been afraid to step out and make my mission bigger then me. 

Don’t get me wrong if you have things that need to be worked on with a mentor or counselor please do it there are lots of resources, but if we stop there we’re left with less then the best we’re left with a single digit impact and as one of my mentors says “one isn’t a big enough number.” 

This last week I listened to a virtual coach I like named Darren Hardy and he was talking about feeling like an imposter when your successful and like someone or everyone will suddenly realize your not as good as you are supposed to be. 
Well I think that’s happens because we are just living for number one. 

In early January I felt strongly, and I’ll call it as I see it, that Jesus spoke to me and said 
“Jason you have done the work of overcoming your past now it’s time to build your future” 
That resonated with me but not till recently did I realize that to build my future, the future I really want, I have to look beyond me. 

Make a mission for your life that doesn’t stop at you.
Make a mission that is so big that you can’t do it on your own. 
Maybe you feel like you need God to show up if it’s gonna work maybe you feel like others need to show up to make it work but if you alone can do it then it’s just not big enough to make a difference in other peoples lives. 

I’m Jason and this is life as I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment